A downloadable tool for Windows
Created to be an alternative to the built-in Dominions map generator, Cartographic Revision builds aesthetically pleasing maps that encourage conflict and are balanced around the particular nations in play. Choose a number of players, select the desired nations, export the built map, and you can drag and drop the new ready-to-play .map and .tga files right into Dominions' maps folder.
The current build should be considered a work in progress. There may be some glitches and the user interface is merely functional. Several luxury features such as roads and guaranteed magic sites still aren't implemented.
Special thanks to SomethingAwful forums member Mukip for creating mountain and city structure sprites for this project, and revising them for the Dominions 5 update!
Latest Dev Log:
- Thrones: there are exactly as many throne locations as there are start locations. It's possible to play with more thrones, but the extra thrones' placement will be at the mercy of the vanilla Dom4 algorithms.
- An explanation of the advanced options:
- Blind mode hides start provinces from the user. There's no foolproof way to hide them in the map data, but this prevents mandatory spoilers.
- Flat View removes the isometric perspective from ground textures and province borders.
- Generic Starts removes nation-based start locations; all starts will be standard land or sea starts. So far this has mostly been used for nationgen games.
- A mac version is viable but has no ETA. The Unity engine is cross-platform but I don't currently have a mac for testing and debugging a mac version.
Changes in v0.7.3 (4/23/2019)
- Prevented farmland provinces from neighboring each other except across seasonally-passable borders (rivers or mountain passes).
- Reduced lake spawns by ~15%.
- To compensate for the above two changes (which generate more plains), reduced plains spawns in anticipated border regions by up to 20% depending on era (more forests in earlier eras).
- Added LA Phlegra to the nation database.
Changes in v0.7.2 (2/27/2018)
- Added Mekone, Phlegra, and Phaeacia to the nation database.
- Added support for island start locations.
- Added support for sea starts on generic nation maps.
- Added "All Eras" era option.
- Added a limit on number of water provinces connected to each water start (~14 provinces).
- Added a limit on size of a coastal start's body of water (~2 provinces unless connected to a water start).
- Added Kelp Forest terrain type (spawns near coasts, but not in isolated lakes).
- Added ice sprites to winter seas.
- Added island spawning algorithm.
- Added new deep sea border transition graphics.
- Increased deep sea spawn rate.
- Tweaked mountain sprite placement in highland provinces to more easily distinguish mountain borders.
- Tweaked winter color palette to make terrain type differentiation easier.
- Fixed another dominion overlay bug in flat view maps.
Known Issues as of v0.7.3
- Dominions 5 will, rarely, refuse to accept a start location, rendering the map unplayable with max players and potentially unbalanced with fewer. This may be unsolvable given that completely identical province coding is occasionally producing different results. The only current solution is to generate another map. If any Dominions modders have insight into this issue, I could use some enlightenment.
- Memory leaks. Unity garbage collection isn't keeping up with something, and I haven't tracked it down yet - largely because it's a non-issue if you generate only a map or few before quitting. Make a dozen, though, and your computer will notice. Unlike the above bug, this is fixable in the future.
Download, unzip, and run!